.

.
.

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Photohunt: Orange




http://tnchick.com/

These photos were taken during my July holidays. You may like to guess where I went.

There was a big Chinese temple, and the colour of the roof was golden orange. In fact all the trimmings from the fence to the windows are orange.

This fruit is called rambutan. It has a hairy exterior which you tear apart, and eat the juicy flesh inside. There is an oval stone. Scientists have done wonders, in the old times, the flesh stuck to the stone. Now, the good ones, thanks to the magic of grafting, the fruity lfesh comes apart. In Malay, rambut means hair. No prize for guessing why the fruit is called rambutan.

Have a second look, this is not America, the name bas sekolah gives the game away.

The photos were taken in Malaysia, but they could well be in Singapore, Indonesia or Brunei.

9 comments:

jams o donnell said...

Nice shots. A lovely selection of oranges for this week's theme!

Sandra said...

Love your orange pictures. The building is beautiful, and the fruit is very unique.

YTSL said...

Of course I recognise that the photos were taken in Malaysia -- seeing that I'm Malaysian myself! :D

SnoopyTheGoon said...

Beautiful shots all.

Have a great weekend.

kayerj said...

I love the roof of that building, it is so brilliant. my photo hunt is here Thanks

Rebecca Mecomber said...

Excellent photos, and I have always wondered about rambutan!

I hope you can come visit my "orange" stuff at New York Traveler.net. :)

Have a great weekend!

Marta said...

I guessed Malaysia right away. The "bas sekolah" gave it away. :) We visited Borneo in February (KK and Kuching) and we have many memories of seeing the children off to school in their uniforms and the yellow school buses. Your photo of the Chinese temple is beautiful and all are great photos for this week's theme. My post is here - http://www.slowtrav.com/blog/marta/archives/009728.html

Corey~living and loving said...

nice choices for orange. a great variety. :)

happy weekend.

VioletSky said...

Love the colourful temple.
That rambutan looks a little intimidating.