.

.
.

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Cherry Guava

C
I photographed them with some green grapes to give an idea of how small they are.

Growing up in Borneo, I am more accustomed to the big green guava.
When my friend M. gave me a bag of this tiny marble like fruits she called South American Guavas aka  Chilean Guavas aka New Zealand cranberries. I wasn't impressed by their size, but the red colour is very attractive.
Eaten as is, it is more tangy than sweet and has lots of pith and the end bits cannot be eaten. Hence, it is not very popular. But it is used for its sweet, tangy flavour in deserts, jams and jellies.
Researchers from US Department of Agriculture (USDA) found that they can take their place high up in the list of antioxidant foods.
Guava’s contain large amounts of vitamin C which is a well known antioxidant.

6 comments:

alicesg said...

Oh I love Guava and yes they do looked different from the guava from in this region.

RA said...

Look how small they are! I have never seen these kind of guavas. They look tempting. Have a great week, Ann :)

gigi said...

Well now, I love it whne I learn something. Thanks and these were really a pretty fruit.

Ruth said...

I like the coarse seedy texture of the guavas my family get in Mexico. They are larger than these. My mom swears that they kill intestinal worms (ughh!)

Chef E said...

I love learning about what foods look like outside of where I am!

To answer your question, not all Amish food is organic, they have learned to adapt to our culture in order to make a living because farming has gone down, and can be very expensive with supplies and etc., but in the summer months like many they will sell their surplus veg & fruit, and usually they are.

Bitsa Lit said...

oh theyre so cute! they look like cranberries here..but a little rounder I think. ours are really tiny and feel almost hollow. I have never tried a real guava but I think I can get them at the bulkbarn in the mall...yum!