.

.
.

Monday, October 5, 2009

My World Tuesday: Cold Cold Spring



http://showyourworld.blogspot.com/

Yesterday, in my other site, I posted on our very cold weather in spring. We had snow and roads were closed. Metservice said snow showers on the Desert Road would continue today, fuelled by an aggressive sub-Antarctic southerly wind.

Some tourists stranded in the snow made the best of it especially those from a snow free country. They came for a summer holiday, and got a bonus of having a snow fight.

WeatherWatch head analyst Philip Duncan said yesterday's snowfalls were a rare event.

"I've had people say to me this is far worse than the middle of winter and I have to agree.

"Even if this was the middle of winter this is extreme."

It doesn't snow up here in Auckland, but we had rain the whole day. I felt really cold and last night, despite wearing another layer of winter top, I couldn't get to sleep. I tossed and turned. Eventually, I got up at 2 AM, put on an extra layer of duvet on top of my winter down's duvet. Only then I fell asleep. I have pity on the poor farmers whose lambs are coming late. During our trip down South to Waitomo, I saw lots of tiny new lambs. A cold snap like this could kill the lambs.

4 comments:

Photo Cache said...

Hah, nice surprise. It would be fun to play in the snow.

www.ewok1993.wordpress.com

Barb said...

Gosh - I have a friend coming to NZ soon! Don't want to tell her this cold news!

Japa said...

That's an early, early snow for the wrong season.

magiceye said...

the weather sure seems to be changing...