.

.
.

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Photohunt: Sports: Samoa Cricket:Kirikiti




http://tnchick.com/

http://annkschin.blogspot.com/2009/02/samoa-cricketkirikiti.html


In the wake of the Samoa Tsunami Tragedy, I honour all those who died and those who lost their friends and relatives.

I was very curious about this game Kirikiti which looks like a cross between baseball and cricket. I went closer, and the players were very happy for me to take their photos. I ask my Samoan students. They say it is very popular and they play here in uckland as church groups. They wear their lavalava,when they play. Both men and women wear their lavalava akin to the Thai and Malaysian sarongs. Only they wear them shorter.

For this week's photohunt, what an appropriate sports it is, Kirikiti to feature on National day of mourning in Samoa.

3 comments:

Jama said...

Interesting sport, I've never heard of Kirikiti before.

Mary said...

Ann, that is very kind of you to remember this horrible tragedy. It seems they just keep coming, much like scripture tell us that they will. The families are in my prayers.

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment on my quilts. I also made a patchwork and use it as a duvet cover for my daughter's bed...she said quilts are too heavy, so the fabric works great for her.

Take care, and God bless,
Mary

Ruth said...

Life marches on even when tragedy strikes. Those who lose so much want everything to stop, because life has stopped for them. Yet they too will move on. So painful.