.

.
.

Friday, December 31, 2010

Weekend Reflection: Waipu

The beautiful Waipu beach.


Steve and Lynn Peeters, this photo was taken on a farewell party for us at Gary's place in 1990. We were leaving for Singapore.




The little Northland Township holds a special place in my heart.

Twenty one years ago, when my baby Andrew died, I was miserable with empty arms and grieving. My friend Steve Peeters invited me to his mother Nelly's kiwi fruit farm near the beach in Waipu. There I found solace as I sat by the little jetty looking at flounders lie on the shallow creek. Steve's dad had just passed away, and Nelly told me that life had to go on. She had to, because she had a big kiwi farm to run.

We came back to Auckland, and I found inspiration to live on.

Recently a friend quoted this: “Let your dreams be greater than your memories.” I want to marry the two, a dream based on memories. I hope to succeed and have a reunion of all my friends who helped me during that very difficult time.

http://newtowndailyphoto.blogspot.com/
Parents march taggers to police
5:30 AM Saturday Jan 1, 2011


A northern resort town blighted by a graffiti attack has got its own back on the vandals after they were marched to police by their parents to confess.

Three young men owned up to defacing 27 of Waipu's shops and commercial buildings on Sunday night and Monday morning.

The trio - aged 14, 18 and 20 - were taken to the Waipu police station by their parents, who were ashamed to learn their boys were responsible for tagging the buildings and scratching shop windows.

On Thursday, all three were removing or painting over graffiti on shops in Waipu's main street and apologising to occupants of buildings they had tagged. Relatives kept them hard at work and made sure they paid attention when older Waipu residents sternly rebuked them for the tagging. "They got heaps of stick," a businessman said.

The mood of people in Waipu yesterday was far lighter than the anger and resentment expressed on Monday morning after the discovery of the destructive tagging, which had been expected to cost thousands of dollars to remove. Waipu Business Association chairwoman Judy Guy said: "It's wonderful they have owned up and their fathers have brought them down to repair the damage. What more can you ask?"

It also means Waipu will be able to show a newly scrubbed face when the 140th annual Caledonian Games get under way today.

12 comments:

rainfield61 said...

You must have your year end reflection, since I started to see this weekend reflection.

Let's forget the sadness. Happy New Year to you, and to your family.

Heard that Australia is very cold this time, how about your place?

Rainfield said...

I have been here for almost half a century.

But only started enjoying life in photography recently.

Started to be naughty only after getting older.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Did you get any pictures of the kiwi growing? Our church was tagged very badly a few years ago. We responded by holding a huge picnic for the neighborhood and had the police talk about how to recognige gang member clothing and signs and what to do about it.

George said...

I'm proud of the parents for bringing in their sons to remove the graffiti.
I'm glad you were able to find some peace at the kiwi farm. No wonder it is such a special place for you.
I hope you have a wonderful new year.

gigi said...

☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ NEW YEAR ☆ 2011
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆ ♥♥♥

Leovi said...

Beautiful photo. I wish you a happy and healthy 2011 and a great decade 2011-2020. Leovi.

Unknown said...

Happy New Year! Live just around the corner from your teacher, sweetie.

Love parents like this ... so hard to find these kinds of parents anymore.

TTFN ~ Marydon

James said...

That's a really good quote and a beautiful beach. I'm sad to read about your tradgedy. I hope 2011 is the best year yet!

Unknown said...

Hi Ann,
I want to wish you a very happy New Year. I enjoyed your blog post with the wonderful photos and joined as a Follower. You were such a loyal follower of the blog that Nancy and I created, It's Always Something, and I know Nancy enjoyed your comments. We will miss her terribly. I started a new blog in her memory and I hope that you will visit me there from time to time. From Maine, I'm wishing you good dreams and happy memories in 2011. Hugs,Cheryl at My Sister's Cottage

☺lani☺ said...

Great reflections!
Happy★ 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★2011★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˚* _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•*/______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• | 田田|門| Happy New Year!!!

Limousine Melbourne said...

Amazing photos and breathtaking scenery! I love traveling; I hope someday I will be able to step down there at the soft, fine sand along the seashore! Would you mind if I ask what model of camera do you use?

Florence said...

I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!