.

.
.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

ABC Wednesday/Thursday Theme Song: K





http://abcwednesdayround3.blogspot.com/
ABC Wednesday is hosted by Mrs. Denise Nesbitt


hootin--anni has a new meme.
IT'S ALL ABOUT MY NEW MEME THAT I HOPE SOME WILL FEEL LIKE JOINING IN ON THE CHALLENGE AND THE FUN [at least I hope the weekly challenge will be fun!]. It's loosely based on song lyrics [recorded songs since the beginning of time to today] and associating them with photos of yours...as I've done in the past...If you click on the link above, it'll take you to the Meme's Homepage for rules and buttons. There will be a Mr. Linky Widget for each individual week also. Do consider joining me sometime. Hope to see it flourish in time.
http://hootin--anni.blogspot.com/


Marion Sinclair wrote this Australian Icon and classic song, Kookaburra sits in the old Gum tree. She wrote it in 1934 for a girl guide music competition. Half a century ago, my teacher taught me to sing this song in Methodist school, Sibu. I was singing in rounds and had no idea why the king was singing in the tree, or up the tree.

Back then, there were no copyright infringement, and the song was sung by the girl guides and some schools like mine in Borneo to the mountains of America. I, LOL, when I heard about the legal spat that The Down Under men at work were sued by Larrikin that they stole their song.

I took these photos when I was in Brisbane, Australia. I was attracted by the laughing of the bird. I looked up the gum tree and saw the two kookaburras.


Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Merry, merry king of the bush is he
Laugh, Kookaburra! Laugh, Kookaburra!
Gay your life must be

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Eating all the gum drops he can see
Stop, Kookaburra! Stop, Kookaburra!
Leave some there for me

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Counting all the monkeys he can see
Stop, Kookaburra! Stop, Kookaburra!
That's not a monkey that's me

Kookaburra sits on a rusty nail
Gets a boo-boo in his tail
Cry, Kookaburra! Cry, kookaburra!
Oh how life can be


31 comments:

Martha said...

Kookaburra, always a fun song. Good choice!

Sylvia K said...

What a great K word for the K Day! Fun post, Ann, love the Kookaburra! Hope the rest of your week goes well!

Sylvia

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I remember that little song well. We sang it at camp when I was a little girl... I remember it well..

I've never seen a Kookaburra though... Wonder if I will ever see one.

Great post.
Hugs,
Betsy

Verna Luga said...

I dont know this song Ann.. but sounds good....

interesting..
ABC Wednesday here

Gigi Ann said...

I never heard that song before, Cute.

George said...

This song was new to me, but it sure is cute. You've come up with a very creative 'K' post.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wow! I'm loving this post! I remember Men At Work, the lead singer was Colin Hay, or something like that. I used to watch this video on MTV all the time! They had a couple other hits, as well. I remember this song talking about a Vegamite sandwich and learning what that was. After listening to this video close, and they played them together, I still can't find that much of a likeness between the two songs! But being a birdwatcher, I would love to see and hear a kookaburra. Alas, it will only be on T.V. documentaries, where I usually hear them and don't see them.

photowannabe said...

Now I'm going to be singing that song for too long. Thanks. Great post with all the pictures.

Jama said...

I remember that song well....

Gattina said...

Since I discovered the Kookaburra on Australian blogs 4 years ago, it became my favorite bird ! I found it's laughter somewhere and made my friends listen to it. We had never had such a laughter. It must be so nice to have such a bird in your garden when you wake up !

PS I have no idea what kind of pumpkins I show on my blog. A pumpkin is a pumpkin to me no matter what color it has, lol !

Rune Eide said...

I have never heard the first one - but absolutely the second. I could not hear anything in common.

Good luck with your new venture!

rainfield61 said...

OK, Ok...

Let's sing together.

Burung kakak tua.....giginya tinggal dua...

penny said...

Kookaburra is a wonderful K word and the song is a lot of fun to sing.

Have a delightful week, Ann.

Carver said...

What a great take on the letter K. I used to sing that song with my daughter and her friends in rounds.

Louis la Vache said...

Ann, re your question about Fisherman's Wharf - yes, «Louis» can tell where it is in the photo, but it would be difficult for him to highlight it in the image because he doesn't have Photoshop.

Tumblewords: said...

Oh, good choices for the K post! I've always loved the word 'kookaburra'.

Unknown said...

Such cute carvings on top!

joo said...

I love the photos Ann - the carvings are so cute!
I've never heard the song before,lol so much to learn:)

By the way, jump into the plane and join me - I'm ready for another trip:)
Hugs

Francisca said...

I like how the word rolls off your tongue... Kookaburra... Good for a K day, for sure.

Roger Owen Green said...

I used to sing that song in grade school in the US; it was in a songbook I wish I still had. Funny, but I recognized the riff from Down Under as from Kookaburra when I first heard it almost 3 decades ago. But I didn't think it was substantial.

I also didn't know it was under copyright, and I agree w the guy in the last video that the copyright law is excessively generous.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

BlossomFlowerGirl said...

Even before I read your words, I thought of "Kookaburra Sits On The Old Gum Tree" as soon as I saw the photo.

Wanda said...

Oh yes, Kookaburra is a delightful song. Thanks for all the information... Really a wonderful K post.

Beverley Baird said...

I've always loved that song! I usually teach it to my classes and they love it as well. Great post for K!

Kay L. Davies said...

I love your kookaburras, and I always loved the song. Plus, I first saw a kookaburra when visiting Brisbane as well. My youngest brother was a young teenager, and also a young artist, and he was with me. He said, "Look at the kookaburra on top of that post!" and I realized how lucky I was to have taken an artist with me. He saw lots of wonderful things I would have missed.
Thanks for visiting my blog. I do love to have visitors.

K, Alberta, Canada

Kay L. Davies said...

PS, I love the idea of the song lyrics meme. Now I have to look through all my pictures to see what I can come up with. I don't have a Thursday meme yet. LOL

-- K, Alberta

Hootin Anni said...

I learned a new song Ann!!! Kookaburra. And I've never seen a gum tree either!! Your choice was very educational this week! Thanks for playing along.

Have a super day.

My Mind's Eye said...

Ann I love the Kookburra song...I believe this was the song sung a The Crocodile Hunter (Steve Irwin)memorial...very touching.
Madi and Mom

SquirrelQueen said...

I directed Girl Scout (Girl Guide) summer camps for years and Kookaburra was always a campfire favorite.

I will now be humming that song for the rest of the day, LOL!

Anonymous said...

Wow how fun this is. I've never heard it so I learned something new :) Great choice my friend :)

Junneth said...

I love this song I also teach this to my school children! Fun post Ann!

Roger Owen Green said...

You inspired a blogpost of mine.