.

.
.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

scenic sunday: snow storm.



href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg-899-CzXQWItUfFyjSFOjxOGTEkQROWseDRIH7E7c9vaS4cU9uY0dAvNwmXzEF3utxzHVq1OPmL1XKT3YtWP1_Y3xCVsYQlOtJdAYWoaTaJ-tSZW375nF4eqFVAr-h783_IcGshSyI0Bu/s1600-h/scenic+sunday.jpg">
http://scenicsunday.blogspot.com/

The weather beast brought a dumping of snow. While those on the ski fields enjoy the snow, parts of Southland were declared a civil emergency.

Heavy snowfall has caused the roof of Invercargill's stadium to collapse.

Stadium Southland, which houses an indoor cycling velodrome, lost its roof and suffered significant damage this morning.

The Fire Service was called to the scene at about 11.30am and the building evacuated.

Stadium manager Nigel Skelt told TV3 it was a sad day for Invercargill.

"The building is an iconic one and we have lost it."

He said a group of young tennis players in the building - which is only 10 years old - were lucky not to have been killed or injured.

Southland Civil Defence group controller Neil Cruickshank said the stadium had suffered major damage to the roof and the structural integrity of the building had been compromised.

Weatherwatch.co.nz's Philip Duncan says a bitterly cold wind-flow is causing heavy snowfall and some people have said it's the heaviest they've seen in decades.

17 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Holy Cow, Ann.... Isn't it a little late in your season to be having that kind of snow storm???? I love snow---so I love your pictures. Glad nobody was injured in the stadium roof collapse...

We are having a terribly hot week here --instead of FALL which I was hoping for. It was almost 90 here today... Yuk!!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh, my, I am sorry to hear about this. It has been about 90 degrees here. I have almost the exact smae picture that I took of myself and my husband waving in our snow reflection. I hope you don't get snowed in!!

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to the cooler weather. Great reminder of the wintertime--love it!

Linnea said...

Wow! Crazy weather. I'm glad no one was hurt in the storm. I'm sure the skiers welcome the fresh snow for skiing and snowboarding though!

Gattina said...

Snow ??? now ! Fortunately I sat on a chair when I saw your pictures couldn't believe it ! Isn't that quiet unusual ? It should be spring by now in your part of the world.
And I complain about our cold summer ! Since they changed "Global Warming" to "Climate Changes" it's cold !!

Eden said...

Really strange but glad no one was hurt. I haven't seen snow yet and I love your pictures. The shadows also in the first photo is fantastic.

Have a great week.

Cezar and Léia said...

Amazing pictures.I imagine how complicate things can be in a snow storm, I hope everything is okay now.
I love those shadows in your picture, very nice!
Have a great week,
hugs
Léia

Unknown said...

How scary!

Carver said...

I'm ready for winter where I live but that's terrible how destructive the big snow storm in you part of the world was.

B SQUARED said...

Snow can be such a terrible thing which explains why I live in Florida.

Maia T said...

That's bad, especially that you have spring now. I'm glad nobody is hurt.
Your pictures with the fresh snow are beautiful though.

eileeninmd said...

Wow, it is either late or too early. I am glad to hear no one was hurt seriously. I am not looking forward to winter.

Al said...

It's good that nobody was hurt. We've been having record-breaking heat, but snow is possible any time from now until early June at our elevation. I'm looking forward to the first big storm!

Ginny Hartzler said...

What is the final total on the depth? Is it over yet? Last year we had about four feet. so fortunate that no one was hurt in the tennis courts!!

George said...

I'm glad no one was seriously hurt in the stadium. Since Spring is only a couple of days away, I imagine you've had enough of winter weather for one year.

Louis la Vache said...

Ann, you asked what this is. It is Albany Point, a little peninsula that juts into San Francisco Bay from the eastern shoreline of the Bay.

For years it was used to dump construction waste, but the dumping was banned in 1984. Gradually, it is reverting to nature.

Richard Boles said...

It's good news that no one got hurt, despite the sudden calamity. You can't predict anything when it comes to weather, but then the stadium must not have the integrity it had before. How are things going now?