.

.
.

Friday, September 17, 2010

Skywatch Friday: Weather beast




http://skyley.blogspot.com/href="http://skyley.blogspot.com/">

I was driving to dinner when the sky flashed and cracked, and pelted us with hail. I was wondering if I should turn around and head home.

New Zealanders are being advised to batten down the hatches and stay away from the beaches as a huge storm bears down on the country.

The wild weather is expected to bring extreme conditions over the next 48 hours, including gale force winds, heavy rain and bitterly cold temperatures.

The same weather system is already causing major problems in Tasmania with thousands of homes left without power as strong winds, snow and surf batter the state.

The Australian Broadcasting Corporation reported that Tasmanians were experiencing their coldest day in decades.

Philip Duncan, forecaster for WeatherWatch.co.nz, said the weather was the result of one of the largest storms on the planet, the size of Australia and the centre of which was churning away about 1000km south of New Zealand.

16 comments:

Gigi Ann said...

Ann, I hope things are better by the time you receive this comment. However your picture is a stunner. Is that the sun in the right hand corner? I ask because it looks like a night time picture.

Sylvia K said...

Terrific capture, Ann, but I do hope your weather improves -- sounds pretty scary!! Have a safe and good weekend!

Sylvia

Kim, USA said...

Great shot, but be careful!!
Scaly sky

LV said...

That is an awesome shot for today. I trust the weather was not as bad as predicated and that all is well with you.

MaR said...

Great shot, stay safe!
My SkyWatch

Ginny Hartzler said...

Please stay safe and I hope you don't have to drive!! That light in the top right corner, reminds me of a ball of lightening, or maybe the sun at night! Yikes!

Kay L. Davies said...

Dreadful for you, Ann. I hope you do stay away from the beaches.
Up here in the wilds of the Canadian prairie we seldom hear about storms in your part of the world. Very scary stuff.
Take care.

Kay
Alberta, Canada

Carletta said...

Really nice night shot!
I sure hope you stayed safe and the weather has changed for the better.

Dorothy said...

This looks like a night shot! Hope thing have cleared up by now.
Be safe and have a great weekend!

dianasfaria.com said...

wow! that sounds frightening!
we had a tornado in nearby Brooklyn last night - very unusual for that part of the city. Long Island, where I live, just had a wicked thunderstorm.
Hope you keep your power & stay safe!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

OH that's terrible Ann.... Hope you are home and SAFE.... May God Bless YOU and your country.
Hugs,
Betsy

Unknown said...

I am scared when I am in the car and it starts to hail. Well, at least we have left winter behind, and it's only going to get better (soon I hope!)

NatureFootstep said...

I hop you were doing alright. :)

Rajesh said...

In spite of the bad whether this is a beautiful shot.

George said...

I hope you have gotten through the storm with no major problems. I am impressed with the picture you captured for this post.

Lew said...

Not a nice night to be out! The sun is rapidly heading south here and our we have cool nights and pleasant days - perfect for sitting outside! I hope you are experiencing the last of your winter storms and can look forward to Spring!