.

.
.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

ABC Wednesday: Letter T :Phoenix Palm Tree




http://abcwednesdayround3.blogspot.com/

Phoenix canariensis
Everywhere you look around in Auckland, you see the giant Phoenix palms. These palms are kingpins in the booming subtropical style of gardening and feature in parks and expensive housing developments.

Introduced to Auckland a century ago, their recent surge in popularity for landscaping projects is alarming native tree advocates. They argue that it is evading the native nikau palm. New Zealand's Landcare Research has classified the palm as a 'sleeper weed' - "a plant that spreads slowly and goes unnoticed until it becomes widespread"

It is hardy, adaptable and spines can inflict poisonous wounds. The average height that the Phoenix canariensis palm grows is between 50 to 60 feet. The Pineapple palm flowers late spring early summer and has numerous orange seeds which ensure its population.

These trees are found at a central city park, Meyrs park.

6 comments:

Ruth said...

My son just sent a photo from Hawaii like the palm tree here, so majestic looking up.

Elaine Yim said...

We have poisonous palms here too. I just received a circulating email regarding a poisonous palm that almost killed a pet dog.

Anonymous said...

They are indeed majestic looking. Will fit in well in the grounds of a large estate / castle. But considered an invasive plant eh? Even tho they're so beautiful. Goes to show, not all plants are good for all environment.

Unknown said...

I wish landscapers thought more about the environment before they planted trees such as this!

You asked if I live near Kingsville, Ontario. No, I live farther north. It must have been quite a shock to see snow for the first time!

Chef E said...

I never new this, we had someone plant them in their yard in Dallas and could not keep them alive...also bamboo was planted and that overtakes your yard so fast...thanks for sharing! I also was sharing something I read over hear a while back about the soldiers helmet and how that dish is now used with its history...wish I could remember where on your site I saw that, I would like it for my students if you know what I am talking about :)

aurbie said...

I love the way you captured the palm tree.

Ouch. Pretty to look at but don't touch. Thanks for the history on this tree.