.

.
.

Friday, March 9, 2012

photohunt: symbolic



This week: Symbolic

A symbol is an object, action, or idea that represents something other than itself, often of a more abstract nature.

A chair is symbolic of power. The king sits high up on the throne. In the corporate world, the biggest boss sits in the biggest chair. It swivels, it is thickly padded, and usually made of leather.

Now I will tell you the story of my swivel chair. I haven't blog about it or planning to, but will after this comment.

Dear Ann,

Thank you for the chair.

AL.


Last Sunday, we went to west Auckland in Henderson to buy a washing machine. Next door was Warehouse Stationery. The husband suggested we popped in for a look and I wasn't keen. I knew whether we popped in, we won't just pop out. We would pop out with something we didn't plan on buying.

That's what we did, the chairs were on special. We bought two different swivel chairs, not knowing they were advertised as special. The executive chair was discounted by 60% and I couldn't believe it. So we bought and enjoyed swivelling on it.

On Monday, my husband read about the special which ended on Sunday. He rang the Henderson branch, and they would sell him at the discounted price. I was reluctant to drive miles and miles to a place I am not familiar as I tend to get lost. I rang the branch St Lukes nearer to us. They won't sell at the discounted rate but at the reverted old price.

I went to buy it, and decided if it was so much cheaper, I might as well buy two. On the way there, I was praying, God, since I am driving so far away, and caught in the traffic jam, you better make sure they will sell them to me at the discounted rate. They were good and sold them to me.

That's why we ended up with a spare chair. I said, we will sell it perhaps at a profit at Trade Me. On Wednesday, after ESOL class, I went to the Church office, something I haven't done for a long time.

The pastors were moving furniture for the new Chinese Pastor, Al. He needed a chair and I told them I have one. So I sold the chair to the church.

God knew that Al needed the chair.

I was going to blog the store because they were selling recycle bags and giving half the proceeds to Salvation Army for poor students' stationery fund.

I was inspired to write this blog by http://sarawakianaii.blogspot.co.nz/2009/06/swivel-chair.html
http://whistlestopphotohunt.blogspot.co.nz/

5 comments:

rainfield61 said...

This is not more than a big boss office.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Great story!
Enjoy your power chair :-)

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

That was no office, it was our computer at one corner of the lounge. Small house, too many computers, stick them any where possible. But chair good value. $180 something off, paid only $134. It shwivels and leans back. Son loves it.

eastcoastlife said...

I am sitting on a swivel chair too. Yeah I love it and I bought it at a special price too.

God loves Al. :)

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

Interesting post, Ann. Sounds as though it was an excellent buy in the end.