.

.
.

Monday, March 19, 2012

ABC Wednesday: J for Jandals, and not just for fun.





























Excellent participation by this teacher and her class. Ka Pai and Paki Paki.


In New Zealand, the jandal is a national icon. Jandals stands for Japanese sandals. In Germany, my friend H tells me it is known as flip flop. In USA, I believe it is also known as flip flops, in Australia, they call it thongs, in China and Taiwan, it is cool shoes, and in Singapore, and Malaysia , we call it Japanese slippers or just slippers.

Today is a special day in school. We had a parade. The weather was terrible, so we had it in the auditorium. It was our fancy bike/scooter/skateboard parade, and it is not JUST for fun. It is serious stuff. It is about travelwise.


Please read the email from Keren, the teacher who organised this day.

I know the Year 5/6’s are out that week ( They went to camp) but I am inviting the rest of our staff to take part in what I am hoping will be a fun week!



Room 2 are going to help me organise the following:



A teacher’s GUESS MY SHOE competition-this is where I am asking you the teacher to bring in 1 shoe and the kids will be guessing who it belongs to!
Lunch time: Obstacle course for Year 3 & 4 children on bikes & scooters
Lunch Time: Year 0/1 & 2 Fancy Bike Parade
Fancy Feet Competition on Friday 23rd March in Whole School Assembly-Maxx the Pukeko might be coming to judge!
All teachers who walk/bike to school from home go in the draw for a prize…or park at the top end of Point Chevalier Road (Montrose Street or Meola Road if you are coming from the North Shore) and then walk to school!



Thanks for your support

Cheers

Keren

( Mr. Pukeko, I walk to school)



http://abcwednesday-mrsnesbitt.blogspot.com/



http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com/

13 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

What great fun for the schoolkids!!!! Yes, we call them flip-flops here, and we have hundreds of kinds!There is even a kit where kids can make their own flip-flops and glue jewels and things on them. The ones you posted look much more comfortable than most, with good side support.

George said...

There may have been some serious lessons connected with these activities, but they still look like a lot of fun. The children did a great job of decorating their bikes and scooters (and themselves).

J.Rylie.C said...

Jandals is a new word. My J is....

MERYL JAFFE, PhD - parent, psychologist, teacher, author... said...

I just love those parade decorations!

photowannabe said...

It looks like a JOLLY time will be had by all.
I have a pair of "Jandals, or flip flops, or thongs just like the ones pictured. Love them.

Leslie: said...

What a jolly fun time you'll all have! We used to call these shoes "thongs," but if we call them that now, people look at us weirdly because "thongs" now refer to those string underpants!

Leslie
abcw team

Carol said...

Great colorful photos, Ann. Looks like the class had a good time! We call the jandals flip flops here also, but I think jandals sounds better than flip flops!

Roger Owen Green said...

I'm guessing that they must be very comfortable.
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Jama said...

I remembered wearing those Japanese slippers as a child, never like them but they were very cheap then and they last long. Of course nowadays the sandals are much more pretty.

Leovi said...

I loved it, very funny. Greetings.

Gerald (SK14) said...

never heard of jandals before - yes i think we would call them flip-flops here.

Hootin Anni said...

My goodness...I never realized in this whole world, that there were so many names for 'flip flops'.

And your parade images are super Ann!!!

Arthur Schenck said...

I haven't worn them since I was a kid, but they were called flip-flops back then. Also, I've noticed that Kiwis often forgo jandals and just go barefoot.