.

.
.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Thursday Theme Song: Can't hug every cat









I am back in connection via facebook with my Cat Cafe friends I made in Singapore. Judith and Marcella used to trap stray cats, feed them and get them sterilised. Then we either released them, and the cats came to feed at the cat cafe, or they were adopted.

 SPCA's news reminds me of that persona I left behind when I left.


Overcrowding at the Auckland SPCA has forced the organisation to slash adoption costs in half for three weeks.

"We've simply run out of room for any more incoming animals. So it's time to do everything we can to encourage prospective pet owners to adopt," animal services manager Tracey Dunn says.

"If you're looking for a pet, please consider rescuing an animal in need and giving them a home for life."

The SPCA currently has 482 cats, 123 dogs, and 39 rabbits on its books.

Just a small percentage can be offered for rehoming at any one time because there is only so much room in the adoption areas. The rest are fostered out to volunteers or await their turn in the holding areas.

"We're at crisis point because we must be able to continue to rescue animals in need but we've nowhere to put them," Dunn says. "We really need the public to help us out."

The half price rate will apply from April 2 to April 22.

All adopted animals have been vet checked, de-sexed, micro-chipped, wormed, treated for fleas and had initial vaccinations.

"The money [the public] pays us goes directly to saving other animals in need," Dunn says.

The SPCA is also desperate for people to foster cats or kittens.

Animals can be viewed at the SPCA Auckland Animal Village, 50 Westney Rd, Mangere between 8.30am and 4.00pm every day or online.

I was googling a song for this story. The lyrics suit the theme to a T, but I don't like the singer. So perhaps you will read it as a poem.

Source: LYBIO.net

I love cats. I love every kind of cat.
I just wanna hug all of them but I can’t

Can’t hug every cat
Can’t hug every cat
So anyway I am a cat lover.
And I love to run.
I’m sorry I’m thinking about cats again.
I really love cats
I’m thinking about cats again.
And again, and again and again and again
I think about how many don’t have a home
And how I should have them
I think about how cute they are
And how their ears and the whiskers and the nose
I just love them
And I want them

And I want them in a basket
And I want little bow ties
I just love them
And I want them
To be on a rainbow
And in my bed
And I just want us to roll around
(to roll around)
(round)
(round)
Sorry I’m getting emotional
I love cats
I love every kind of cat
I just want to hug all of them
But I can’t
Can’t hug every cat
Can’t hug every cat
So anyway
I am a cat lover and I love to run
I’m sorry I’m thinking about cats again
I really love cats
But I can’t hug every cat
Can’t hug every cat
Can’t hug every cat


http://thursdaythemesong.blogspot.com/
http://hootin--anni.blogspot.com/



http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com/

15 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

Oh, but I WANT to hug every cat, especially after reading a story like this, Ann.
I do love cats! I still think our dog Lindy needs a cat of her own. I'm sure she was raised with cats, and then she wouldn't be lonely.
K

SquirrelQueen said...

I may not be able to hug them all but I'll hug as many as possible.

Our efforts in TNR has reduced the cat population enough that our local shelter is not over crowded at the moment. There are some kittens being fostered however. I hope the Cat Cafe can continue to spay/neuter the cats and take care of them.

eileeninmd said...

Thumbs up Ann, This is a fantastic thing to do. I wish more people would be responsible with their own pets.

Linda said...

Hope their promotion works for them! It is a shame pet owners aren't more responsible! Great "poem" and cute photos!

Hootin Anni said...

My oh my....well, I LOVE cats. And if I ever see one, I want to hug 'em and curl up and listen to them purr.

You people do good work. You should all be commended for your unselfish efforts.

Tina´s PicStory said...

sweet kitty! - .... yes, i used the computer :)

Lina Gustina said...

I love cat. Running a cat cafe is an awesome idea. I think I still can't find it here.

www.1sthappyfamily.com

magiceye said...

tough call indeed

My Mind's Eye said...

Hi Ann
You know we love this with the beautiful kitty and the information you shared.
Hugs Madi and Mom

Betty Manousos said...

this is an awesome thing to do!

i love cats, great post!
thanks so much for sharing:)

Lighthousegal said...

Oh, my husband would definitely try! He is such a cat lover. I like cats but am highly allergic so can't be around them. We have a beautiful black stray that has adopted us and the neighbors. We and the neighbors put out food for him, and he catches my birds when he gets a chance, but he will not let us get too close.

rainfield61 said...

But the cats of my neighbour always urinates on the windscreen of my car.

Liz said...

Great shots Ann!
My other blog was set up due to a problem with Blogger which was fixed over night thankfully... I think maybe someone tried to hack into my blog and so blogger asked for verification from me and they shut your blog down for 24-48 hours. I thought I had lost 8 months of blogging but luckily when I went on the next day it was all fixed!! :)

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

Great post with some lovely shots, Ann.

Unknown said...

It's so sad that there are so many unwanted pets in the world. We could definitely help by making sure that our animals are spayed/neutered. I really like programs that catch, spay/neuter, and release animals ... that really helps to alleviate the problem while letting animals live out their lives in the manner to which they are accustomed. Thanks, Ann!