.

.
.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Creative: My sister Grace





This is a cake that made people say "WOW! Raymond, did you say your Aunty Grace made it?"

Grace made this for our nephew Raymond's wedding. She did most of the work, and some of us gave a little hand. Raymond's sister Flora flew back from Australia and did a great job.

If you look carefully at the bottom tier, where there are those delicate spiral lace work, and notice a rough patch, that's was done by me.

We had to send one of the nephews to scour the whole of Kuching town to get as much icing sugar as possible.

We even had an consultant engineer giving advice. Our brother in law Teo was worried the cake would cave in or topple. When he saw the piling or wooden dowels inside the cake, he had confidence that the cake wouldn't fall. Before that, he had always wondered  why the multi-tiered cakes don't flop.

Transporting the cake to the hotel was an incredibly difficult job. Henry was driving very slowly, Elizabeth held the cake with the flowers. Her husband Kallang and I sat on the floor at the back of the 4 wheel drive trying to keep the cake in balance so it won't topple over.

We were all beaming with pride. I wish the cake was left intact because it was such a beautiful cake. I think it is a sin to cut up such a beautiful cake.


Cake making and icing in the Chan family and now Tiong (Grace's) is a family affair.

She made sugar flowers, leaves and figurine. Grace couldn't remember how long it took. She did it when she was free on and off during the day for 2 weeks. It was tough work mixing the sugar dough or fondant icing and gum paste. The gum paste had to be rolled to tissue thin and and not break. Royal icing for some of the leaves.


You can't buy her cakes, it is the fruit of love. Grace is not a chef, Grace is a computer expert, but a stay home mum by choice. Her creativity goes beyond making cakes. She makes lots and lots of things.
http://whistlestopphotohunt.blogspot.co.nz/

9 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

THAT is one amazing cake. I would have enjoyed a piece of it.

Trekcapri said...

Hi Anne, that is a beautiful cake. I'm betting that it tasted as good as it looks. Perfect choice for the theme.

Have a wonderful weekend.

LifeRamblings said...

can i have a piece of cake, please?

George said...

This is a marvelous cake. Did it taste as good as it looks?

Vicki said...

I am always amazed at how creative the people who make these cakes are. Well done.

http://hindmarsh-island.com/?p=663

rainfield61 said...

Grace is a computer expert, luckily she never made a virtual cake.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Part of the reason it is so beautiful...it is made with love!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Prof Madya Dr Margaret Chan:

I will never forget this occasion. She had two tai hoot mei while focusing making the cake. Father kept on telling her it would have been so much easier if just buy the cake. Well, i don't think you can get one like this in any of the Kuching outlets. Today whenever, I watched the Cake Boss, I remember those days. I didn't have any hand in it, but I tnink Arlene and Sharlene had. I just remember only the paper roses and I got some of my students making them which did not get much credit from the sifu - Sis Rose. But I spent some time helping in the decor with the netting and the arrangements.

Halcyon said...

Very impressive! I am amazed by people who can make those cakes so beautiful. I would have no idea how to do it. :)
It certainly looks like a professional job, to boot.