.

.
.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

weekend reflection: Reverse bungy




http://newtowndailyphoto.blogspot.com/

I live and work in the suburbs and don't usually go to the city. Last Saturday, we met a visitor, and I took a lot of photos of tall glass buildings.

The Reverse Bungee (or catapult bungee, or Ejecton Seat) is a modern type of fairground ride that was invented by Troy Griffin in 1995.[1] His dream was to create a safer, yet more extreme bungee jumping experience.

The ride consists of two telescopic gantry towers mounted on a platform, feeding two elastic ropes down to a two person passenger car constructed from an open sphere of tubular steel. The passenger car is secured to the platform with an electro-magnetic latch as the elastic ropes are stretched. When the electromagnet is turned off, the passenger car is catapulted vertically with a g-force of 3–5, reaching an altitude of between 50 and 80 metres (180–260 ft).

The passenger sphere is free to rotate between the two ropes, giving the riders a chaotic and disorienting ride. After several bounces, the ropes are relaxed and the passengers are lowered back to the launch position.

This photo was taken in Down town Auckland at Victoria Street near to the Sky Tower.
In Singapore, they have it at Clarke Quay.

10 comments:

Kathy said...

I won't be taking this ride anytime soon!

☺lani☺ said...

I've seen the one in Singapore, I would love to try it next time! Have a great week ahead!

George said...

I've not heard of the Reverse Bungy before. I'm not really sure I would give it a try, but I do appreciate your explanation. I also like the neat reflection you got in the glass building in the background.

James said...

Did you try it? It sounds very scary. It makes a good picture and a nice story though. :)

Eden said...

I haven't seen Reverse Bungy here. I am sure my daughter would love to try it. Great shot.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Ann, I have never heard of a Reverse Bungee before --and would probably be 'chicken' and not try it. IF I were younger, I probably would. But the older I get, the more afraid of things I become.... ha

Thanks for sharing though... Quite interesting!!!! Great photo...
Hugs,
Betsy

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Hi Ann == we saw one of those reverse bungees somewhere on our current road trip. Just watching made my stomach drop! But fun for the kids. (Meaning just about anyone under 50!).

You asked about how to pronounce Mitoi Gardens that we saw on Martha's Vineyard. The many who built the garden made the word up and it is pronounced "my toy". (Because he thought of it as his plaything.) It's not really a Japanese word.

Anonymous said...

I would love to try that ride. :) It would be awesome. Great photo my friend. Have a wonderful week ahead and yes those were Koi in my photo :)

Carletta said...

Nice shot Ann; but my stomach is a little queasy just reading about the ride. :)

The probligo said...

Ann, time was when there was a classic double reflection image in those two buildings. I chanced upon it some years back.

On one of those buildings, you get a reflection of another building, and that building had a reflection of the Skytower. I saw it from the east side of Albert street, just south (uphill) from the Victoria St intersection. You need a fairly clear (sunny) day to get a good reflection.