.

.
.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Matariki, the Maori New Year



Matariki is a special time for all New Zealanders to share, a time to come together and celebrate our unique Maori heritage, nature, creativity and expression. I wish my Maori friends especially Ngarimu a Happy Matariki day. I greeted Emerson in school. Through my association with them, I have grown more aware of them.

At this year's Waitangi day, Ngarimu invited me and some others to spend a night in his marae. I consider this a very special privilege. Last year, I taught my students this festival.

If you are interested in things Maori, do go on this link on Waitangi Day celebrations and the other posts. I documented the enactment of the arrival of the British Governor to New Zealand.

This photo was taken at the Information Centre in Rotorua. The couple is my Sister Elizabeth and her husband Kallang. Kallang is a Kelabit from the Bario Highlands of Borneo.
He is not a Maori, but you can say he could be a cousin. Back thousands of years ago, they may well be. They have so many customs that are similar. Kallang even knows a Maori song taught to him by a Kiwi teacher. I took them to meet Ngarimu, and they got on really well. I joked that he was the return of the lost cousin.

No comments: