.

.
.

Saturday, March 20, 2010

scenic Sunday: Stream walking adventure.






http://scenicsunday.blogspot.com/

Yesterday I went for a four hours tramp. Part of it included stream walking. I was glad to have my pair of good hiking boots. As I waded in the foot high water, I remember another adventure I didn't quite enjoy.

The year was in the early 80s. As a newly wed, I was happy to help the water engineer, then the water student. His PhD thesis had to do with stone scouring, and he had to go up the bush/mountains to do his survey. I went with him as his assistant, and as a poor student, he did not think of getting good tramping boots. I borrowed a friend's white gum boots which he used for his summer job in the freezing work.

It was freezing cold, and I followed the water student as he did his survey and research. Wearing the ill fitting gum boots was very uncomfortable and cumbersome. I couldn't walk as fast as he could. At the end of the trip, I had blisters.

He had forgotten about this trip, I haven't. I told him we have to go back to the Coromandels Mountains with the kids to show them that we did not get things easy.

3 comments:

Johnny Nutcase said...

playing in the creek is so much fun!

maiaT said...

These long walks are such great fun, not to mention these great photos you ended up with.

Eden said...

This is what I want to do these days, long walks with my family in the mountains. It looks like you had a great time. Beautiful photos you have here.

Yes, we're getting rain from time to time. Thanks for the visit