.

.
.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Singapore public land: sugar cane




Age mellows a person. When I took this photo, I laughed to myself. When I first went to Singapore in 1990, I was told that residents in the HDB, (Housing Devlopment Board, liken to state housing,) are not allowed to harvest the fruit trees grown round their area. They are not allowed to plant anything, or the plants will be pulled out.

When I was walking towards NTU, I saw this sugar cane plant. I wanted to do a post on this plant. There were other plants like banana, papaya, lemon grass and pandan. People were growing on public land. Apparently, the government is encouraging the residents to grow. In some areas, they have allotments.

If sugar is deemed such a bad thing, causing hyper activity, this is where sugar comes from.

outdoor wednesday

4 comments:

Ruth said...

There is a lot of sugar cane grown in Mexico in the area where my brother and parents live. He buys chunks of it in bags and it is soaked in lime juice and salt. It is a great hot weather snack and I eat it til I get a sore mouth :-(
Refined sugar is a different thing altogether.

Rune Eide said...

What one might call a "sweet post" :-)

Mary Bergfeld said...

What an interesting post. I love this photo. Most of the sugar we have here comes from sugar beets.

Reader Wil said...

I know the sugar cane from my time in Indonesia and recently from Australia. You asked if I ever ate durian. No, because it had such an awful smell, but my mum said it is delicious. Did you ever eat durian?