.

.
.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Thursday Theme Song: Oh Christmas tree


By coincidence, the last two houses I lived in, there were 4 pines trees in the garden. One year, my daughter suggested we decorated one of the trees. It was fantastic. We had strangers coming to the front door and commented that the tree made them happy.


I love decorating Christmas trees. The tradition went back to when I was a little baby. Dad had gone to England and came home with this tradition. There are lots of memories. One year, the wind blew the tree down, and all the baubles broke. Another year. mum grew her own Norfolk pine. She brought the tree in, together with a nest with eggs or was it nestlings. Dad ordered her to take the tree back downstairs to the garden. Mum removed the nest and tied it to another tree. What happened after, I can't remember, or did I block out that memory.

Now, I have one special decoration for each member of the family.

Merry Christmas every one!

Peace to mankind.


Oh Christmas tree,
Oh Christmas tree,
With faithful leaves unchanging,
Oh Christmas tree,
Oh Christmas tree, with faithful leaves unchanging
Not only green, in summer’s heat,
But also winter’s snow and sleet Oh Christmas tree,
Oh Christmas tree, with faithful leaves unchanging
Oh Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree,
Of all the trees most lovely
Oh Christmas tree,
oh Christmas tree,
Of all the trees most lovely
Each year you bring to me delight,
Gleaming in the Christmas night
Oh Christmas tree,
Oh Christmas tree,
Of all the trees most lovely



http://youtu.be/J4Hv9YmhGpw




http://thursdaythemesong.blogspot.com/
http://hootin--anni.blogspot.com/

10 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

Beautiful choice of song for the season, Ann, and I enjoyed your Christmas tree stories very much.
Wishing you the very best for the holiday season and for the coming year.

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel

Ash said...

Awww...I loved reading this Ann. I wish you and your loved ones a blessed Christmas!

TexWisGirl said...

a lovely tradition, for sure. :) merry christmas to you!

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a sweet little tree.! The big one, is it one of the ones in a house you used to live in?

SquirrelQueen said...

You have some wonderful memories about the Christmas trees Ann. It is really nice that the one you decorated outside brought so much joy to people passing by. I love this song, it is beautiful.

Lighthousegal said...

Love reading about your Christmas memories. If the tree you decorated was anything like the pne in your photo here, I bet the neighbors Loved it!! That is a beautiful tree so big and full, and when you add decorations to a tree like that it does indeed bring a smile. Thanks for sharing your memories.
Merry Christmas, from my little corner of the world to yours!!

Cherry said...

droppin' by to greet you a Merry Christmas and a Happy 2012! :)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Ann your Christmas tree memories are so precious and I loved the song you chose to share.

I had a Christmas tree fall down in my house one year --it was a mess! Now i tie it to a hook on my ceiling so that will never happen again.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

MadSnapper said...

I like the star you found, I like stars on the trees and a lovely tree you have.

Lew said...

And a very Merry Christmas to you and your family. As for our Christmas, we add a few ornaments each year. Many are the ones my wife bought when she had her first job and have been used for 50 years. She has one that was her grandmothers. There are some hand made ornamments made when the kids were little and a few new ones this year made by one of my daughters.