.

.
.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

ABC Wed: U for university, Sunday scans


In Sarawak, there was and still has a tradition of placing congratulatory messages to parents and graduates who complete their universities studies or even weddings. I see this notice for the first time in more than 35 years. An ex flat mate Ning put this on facebook. The first name was my Dad, the DEO aka Divisional Education Officer, the second was mine. The third was Ning's, the fourth was Ting's Dad and Ting who became my flat mate when I came to New Zealand, and the last, a teacher on her engagement. This message was placed by the Staff of Kai Chung school where Ning, Ting and I taught.




All my adult life, I am involved with universities. First as a student, and later as faculty wife. A friend said, I will never be rich. In a sense, she is right, monetarily, we are not rich, but I am rich in the vast experience I have had. There was a time when I had friends from all over the world, and with them, I did a charity that raised money for the deaf in Kenya for 16 years and for a life saving operation for a pair of Siamese/conjoined twins from Nepal. These are experiences that money can't buy.http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif

Reader Rainfield commented that Chinese word meaning snow as in my other blog http://annsnowchin.blogspot.com/2011/12/scenic-sunday-fund-raiser-at-pt.html


Snow is my given name, it is pronounced as SUET in my Cantonese pronounciation, and XUE in Mandarin. I did not know it is also a surname.
httphttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif://abcwednesday-mrsnesbitt.blogspot.com/



http://sundayscans.blogspot.com/

Al http://alsphotographyblog.blogspot.com/.

14 comments:

Getyourbags said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rainfield said...

I see a person sharing the same surname with me: 雷

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Great post, Ann.. I know that people who work in the field of Education don't make much money---but the riches they receive from being in that field is much better than all of the money in the world.
Hugs,
Betsy

Cildemer said...

Very nice entry! And yes, money can't buy everything!
Thanks for sharing, Ann. Say hello to your French student;o)

***
Hope you are having a nice and happy week****

Ginny Hartzler said...

Snow is your given first name? Being a teacher and shaping the personality of our growing children is one of the most important jobs there is!! It is a shame that here, the pay is not so good. They should take some of the millions they pay athletes and actors, and give teachers that salary!

George said...

I think you are very rich to have a university life. I value the 30+ years I taught in colleges.

Jama said...

I remembered the fund raising for the co-joined twin from Nepal, sad to say one of them died recently .

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hootin Anni said...

Hello sweet Ann!!! This is one most interesting post. And, as always I learn some of your culture which I highly appreciate you sharing. Richness, to me anyway, is not of monetary value...it's how you live your life.

PS...love your name "Snow"

Gattina said...

Better have a rich and fulfilled life than a rich bank account !

Tina´s PicStory said...

like the chinese letters :) - i didn´t use photoshop for my snow pics :)

Kim, USA said...

Hi Ann, I wonder what is my name means in Chinese. I know Kim is Korean but don't know what it means. I agree with what you say, my mom is an elementary school teacher and retire after 36 yrs but we never get rich. But we are happy and contented with life.
About the star apple, yes we climbed that tree like there is no end. I don't think it is brittle because we literally lived on top of the tree that we only climbed down when it is lunch or dinner time. That is what I missed in my grandparents place. And every time I went to visit Philippines I do visit the place but the 2 star apple tree are gone. Happy weekend!

Al said...

This is a great post, and lots of wonderful scans here. You are certainly rich in experience, and in the end that's what matters. Thanks for joining in Sunday Scans.

Florence said...

I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!