.

.
.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Save the world/thursday theme song: Green Green grass of home.

An ex student of Kai Chung school posted this song on Facebook.
 Francis Tiong: Are you coming home to Binatangor?

I travel 5 legs of this journey to be at the reunion. Francis has kindly offered to take me on one leg after our celebration. Times and things have changed. I used to take an express river boat, but they don't operate anymore. Someone asked, why are you going? It's not even your reunion. It's your students'.

As I head towards home, one of the first drinks I had was the pure freshly squeezed sugar cane juice. Sugar cane is a grass which can grow quite tall depending on the species.

For the Save the world theme: The sugar cane farmers and suppliers used to truck sugar cane of long stems of about six foot long. They deliver them standing up at the fruit stalls. It seems the sugar cane is very porous and will absorb any fluid it comes in contact with. People got sick and some even died. They claimed that the cleaners clean the fruit stalls with detergent and some of these detergent flow to the sugar cane. They were sucked up by the cane.

As a result, they chop the stems into 2 feet of manageable lengths and stack them on the counter. Was this the solution? I don't know and I don't really care. This is the first thing I drink when I land in Singapore. It is cooling and not overly sweet.

If I am writing nonsense, it is because coming from a cold New Zealand to a very hot Singapore, I am having a hard time adjusting. I have been waking at 3 am every morning.









Tomorrow, I fly my second leg to Kuching from Singapore. 



Green Green Grass Of Home lyricsSongwriters: Putman, Curly;The old home town looks the same
As I step down from the train
And there to meet me is my Mama and Papa

Down the road I look and there runs Mary
Hair of gold and lips like cherries
It's good to touch the green, green grass of home

Yes, they'll all come to meet me
Arms reaching, smiling sweetly
It's good to touch the green, green grass of home

The old house is still standing
Though the paint is cracked and dry
And there's that old oak tree that I used to play on
[ From: http://www.elyrics.net/read/t/tom-jones-lyrics/green-green-grass-of-home-lyrics.html ]

Down the lane I walk with my sweet Mary
Hair of gold and lips like cherries
It's good to touch the green, green grass of home

Then I awake and look around me
At four gray walls that surround me
And I realize, yes, I was only dreaming

For there's a guard and there's a sad old padre
On and on we'll walk at daybreak
Again I'll touch the green, green grass of home

Yes, they'll all come to see me
In the shade of that old oak tree
As they lay me 'neath the green, green grass of home

http://youtu.be/_EvUHnm43wY




7 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have never had this drink or even heard of it, I wish I could try it, if it is pure sugar it must be really sweet!!! Your pictures are good, showing the process. It is true, you can't go home again.

SquirrelQueen said...

This does sound like a very refreshing drink. I would guess it is not as sweet as we would think. I really like the song.

Linda said...

Interesting post today! I have always loved that song...sad one though!

Hootin Anni said...

Oh my Ann....this is one of my favorite songs, I remember it being played often when I was growing up...it never registered with me until I was a grown up and left home...

Beautiful choice, and wonderful, fabulous photos.

EG CameraGirl said...

Interesting about the sugar cane. Have a safe jouney!

Lighthousegal said...

Great post. Love how the pictures show the process the sugar cane goes through, very interesting and informative. I have never heard of the drink, but it sounds refreshing. As for the song, it is one I know well and have always enjoyed.
Happy Thursday!

Kay L. Davies said...

I haven't thought of that song for a long time, Ann. Nice use of it, and very interesting about the sugar cane juice. I would have thought it would be very sweet, but if it is refreshing, I'm sure I'd like it.
K