.

.
.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

ABC Wednesday/save the world: U for Utan


The buzz world today is endangered species. The Orang Utan is one that is facing extinction because of indiscriminate felling of tropical rain forest for timber and palm oil plantation.
In South East Asia, in Malay, Orang means men, Utan means forest.




I took Sam to Kuching, Sarawak, Borneo to see Orang Utans in a rehab. This photo was taken on another occasion when my nephew Wayne and his little son went.

It is amazing to see how the men of the forest, the Orang Utans live. When I saw them, the big male took his time to come to the eating platform. A mum with babies just hung around. Then the male I called the king ate first, he ate slowly while the rest of his kingdom and harem waited. The older princes , the babies ate,finally the mothers ate. Even in the jungle, the hierarchy of the male demands the women to be subservient.

Fellow viewers from international countries were seen making this comment," incredible, even among the men of the jungle, there was a hierarchy and male chauvinistic monkey."

The Utans make nest up the trees looking like giant baskets.

When I went, I went to be a tourist, if I have the chance, I would like to be a volunteer and work to save the utans,






http://abcwednesday-mrsnesbitt.blogspot.com/









10 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I had no IDEA that they are endangered!

George said...

I'm glad there are places like this working to save endangered species.

Reader Wil said...

Great post! We are having actions going on to save the orang utan in Borneo. There have been several TV programs dedicated to the orang utan.
Thanks for your comment. We have the same problems with our minister of education!

rainfield61 said...

And if you ever have a chance, do you want to be a Orang Utan?

Roger Owen Green said...

most UNFORTUNATE news...
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Carver said...

It is so sad when extinction is threatened. Great post and wonderful shots of this sanctuary.

Thanks for telling me about the good news for teachers and schools in New Zealand. That is a great example of the importance of unions. Carver, ABC-W Team

MERYL JAFFE, PhD - parent, psychologist, teacher, author... said...

Fascinating post and so important - it helps put us in our place and add a much larger perspective of life. And...congratulations on your union news! Have a great week.

Martha said...

The Orang Utan certainly is a fascinating animal. I bet they give great hugs with those long arms of theirs. :)

The Poet said...

Hello.
Great photos! Good luck in your quest to become volunteer. We need more like you! Nice share. Thanks. Thanks for visiting too.

Undress My Heart

Unknown said...

i am very familiar of utan coz we use that word in my cebuano dialect for veggie :) hope you can visit my ABC Wednesday here.