.

.
.

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Black magic?




I read this news article with interest. Coming from Borneo, I didn't find it incredible. When I was 17, my friend R told me that her married uncle was dying in his thirties, falling sick out of the blue, and the western doctors couldn't heal him, the family consults a woman medium.

According to R who swore she personally saw it, her uncle had been put on a hex by w vicious woman whom he had jilted and returned to his wife. The needles were slowly traveling to his heart. When they reach that destination, he would die.

So there was this big ceremony of extracting the needles, and R insisted she personally saw the medium extract needles from all parts of her uncle's body.

I wasn't sure whether she was telling the truth, or whether the medium got the needles from else where and pretended to extract the needles.

In the New Zealand Herald today, I read a similar case in Brazil.

http://annkschin.blogspot.com/2008/11/voodoo-doll.html


Here is a short story I wrote a few years ago. It is fiction, but based on the environment I grew up in Borneo.

Toddler has 50 needles stuck in body, black magic suspected
9:30 AM Thursday Dec 17, 2009

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/religion-and-beliefs/news/article.cfm?c_id=301&objectid=10616056



An x-ray of a two-year-old boy showing needles inside his body in a hospital in Ibotirama, northern Brazil. Photo / AP

BRASILIA, Brazil - A two-year-old Brazilian boy has as many as 50 metal sewing needles inside his body and a doctor treating the boy said Wednesday they were apparently stuck there one by one.

Dr. Luiz Cesar Soltoski said surgeons hope to remove most of the needles - some as long as 5cm - but because some are stuck in his lungs, they have to wait until the child's breathing improves.

Some cannot be removed; they are too close to vital organs or actually inside them, Soltoski said.

The boy's mother, a maid, brought him to a hospital in the small northeastern city of Ibotirama, saying he was complaining of pain. Three days later, after X-rays revealed some of the needles, doctors had him shifted to a larger hospital in Barreiras.

The mother told police she doesn't know how the needles got inside her son, but police have opened an investigation. The boy's name was withheld because of his age.


The boy's father, Gessivaldo Alves, told Brazil's A Tarde newspaper that he believes his son could have been a victim of a black magic ritual.

10 comments:

Ruth said...

I just read that story in our local paper...very disturbing indeed. There is much in this world we do not understand.

Ruth said...

Whoa. I'm a little freaked out.

SandyCarlson said...

We don't know everything. Western Medicine needs to be reminded of that. That is a neat story.

Jama said...

There was a case of a child with needles here in Singapore a few years ago, not sure what happen to him in the end.

Kay said...

I find all this hard to believe. There's so much trickery in the world that it's hard to know what is fact and what is fiction. Why would anybody put a hex on a young boy? And such a terrible hex?

Ah Ngao said...

theres so many doubts on earth but i did recalled one of my aunty told us why my uncle is so a good and obediene hubby becoz she did a magic(not a black one but a clean one)by putting some potions of her menstrual into the bolster of her husband.what do you ladies says about this,..eh?

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Ah Ngao,

Your aunty must have been told by her Indo maid.( domestic workers from Indonesia) Apparently menstrual blood is very powerful. It was reported either in Malaysia or Singapore, I can't remember which, some employers (Usually nasty) ones, found used sanitary pads boiling in the soup pot.

The effect is you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out what it was for.

I never had a foreign domestic helper during my 16 years in Singapore. I hear lots of abuse from either sides.

I think, your aunty actually teased you. If she really casted a hex on your uncle, she would keep it a secret, otherwise when your uncle hears of it, he will cast another back on her. LOL

Ah Ngao said...

hi Ann,a good one here.infact,when my aunty boasted about her prowess in taming her hubby,we were chuckling to ourselves...haha,becoz our uncle was a playboy before he got married and continues being one even after settling down - just that nothing we can do about it.she probably learns the trick from her neighbours - all the sum koo luk po or see fei po.my first Indon maid works for me for only 2 week,why? - becoz she bundles all her used sanitary towels under her bed!before hence i already got so many advices from friends about Indon maid so i was considered quite lucky to avoid further damages.yes,it was in the paper about those maid puting menstrual blood into the drinking water of their employers hoping the employers would treat them nice and good - silly! my 2nd Indon maid was good and acceptable.i wanted her to continues after 2 years working for me but she said she just missed home very much.i bought a small gold necklase for her(my mum adviced me to do so)and told her to sew them into her panty when she goes back to her kampung.the problem with their people is,when they know somebody's coming back after working in M'sia,a lot of these "vultures" would be waiting at their bus terminals,preying on these coming-home-cashscrap-maid.my classmate's Indon maid after completing 2 years working ran off with some jewelries and....younno what? - my classmate wife's used undies ! * phew..* sometimes or many times its funny.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Ah Ngao,

I like your stories, we could write so much about this topic.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Florence said...

I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!