.

.
.

Monday, August 1, 2011

Save the world:save your life./ABC Letter C for Colon and Colonoscopy










httphttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif://abcwednesday-mrsnesbitt.blogspot.com/


http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com/


This week, my challenge is one that people don't like to talk about. It is about our colon aka large intestine/bowel and colonoscopy. Sometimes, if we have irregular bowel movement, it is best to check it out just in case we have cancer. Polyps can be seen and removed before it develops to cancer.

A healthy diet with lots of fruits and vegetables helps. We are told to eat 5 portions of fruits and vegetable. Psyllium husks helps both ways, when you go too frequently or you don't go.

A friend went for a colonoscopy recently. Three days before, she mustn't eat fruits or food with pips and tiny seeds. The day before, she had to take light breakfast and light lunch. The evening before, she took the Moviprep, a solution that is a laxative. It doesn't taste nice and is very salty.

By then, she had completely emptied her bowel from faecal material after going very frequently. During the examination, She was sedated and a small camera takes photos.

For all her trouble, the doctor told her she passed her warranty of fitness, aka WOF.

She can't drive to the hospital and after the procedure for 10 hours. So I went with her. I waited for her procedure and drove her home.

Sorry if you are having your lunch or dinner. But it can save your life. While I was waiting for my friend, the surgery was very busy.

14 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I have a colonoscopy on August 12... Fun Fun!!!!! I had one in 2004 --and everything was clear as a bell. Hope it's that clear this time also.

Hugs,
Betsy

Chubskulit Rose said...

I love Kiwi but I am not sure about colonoscopy, maybe one day if I need to.

magiceye said...

very informative and important post

Anonymous said...

Great informative take on the letter C, my friend's brother died of this way too early...never had a colonoscopy until it was too late...

Joy said...

I was just listening to someone who had one, said he could see the contents of his bowel on the monitor, felt it was a combination of unsettling and fascinating.

EG CameraGirl said...

Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Tania said...

Think I can take an apple!:-)

Ash said...

Thanks for sharing this. A very informative take on C.

Roger Owen Green said...

i've had 2 colonoscopies - another in 2 years. my wife has had 3 because her brother died of colon cancer at the age of 41!

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Jama said...

I'm very good with the pleating of the currypuffs and yes , those are done by me. There's the mould for the currypuff but sometimes the sided tend to give way, so after using the mould, I would do the pleating to seal.Always a favorite among the family members. Of course nowadays one can find the frozen curry puffs being sold in supermarkets easily here.

Lew said...

we are due for another one this fall.

Meryl said...

Not one of my favorite subjects. I have been putting off the colonoscopy for some time now. May be time to just bite the bullet and do it...

mythreewonders said...

Ugh, sometimes the best reminders are the ones we want to hear about least. How do you use the psyllium husks?

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

http://www.metamucil.com.au/?247SEM

Pyslium husk is the raw material used in Metamucil. You take about 1 tablespoon to 1/2 a glass of juice.

The ones I use is the raw material which comes from India. Much cheap.