.

.
.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Scenic Sunday: Dragon boat festival





The students in NTU (Nanyang Technological University) are very good in the dragon boat race. This is the head of the dragon that grace their float during the parade.






Duanwu Festival (Chinese: 端午節/端午节)
My church Mt Albert Baptist Church is holding their next Asian Outreach, incorporating the Duanwu Jie or Dragon Boat festival. We are having a pot-luck dinner and a message by Dr Joe Huang, the director of the Chinese program at Carey College.

The History behind this dumpling and the Dragon boat festival associated with is Qu Yuan, a famous Chinese poet from the kingdom of Chu jumped to the sea when he was frustrated that the king did not listen to his advice. After his death, the people realized that the king had made a great error by not listening to him. By then it was too late, they threw rice into the sea so that the fish would not eat his body. The banging of drums on the dragon boats was to scare the fish away.

Though this is a Chinese festival, we can draw a parallel between Qu Quan dying for the Chinese people and Jesus dying for us.


This is a post of Tradition and nostalgia. The Zhungzi or zhung in my Cantonese dialect or commonly known in Singapore and Malaysia as Bak Zhang is a traditional Chinese food, made of glutinous rice stuffed with different fillings and wrapped in bamboo or reed leaves. They are cooked by steaming or boiling. Through the years in South East Asia, it has morphed into the Nyonya Zhung where the fragrant pandan leaf has been used to impart it's fragrance.

We ate this every year on the Lunar fifth of May, and we helped Mum wrap this difficult dumpling.

These days you can buy the tetrahedral shaped zhungzi throughout the year. My traditional Cantonese ones are rectangular shape like a pillow. My two older sisters Rose and Elizabeth can make them. Alas for me, too many decades away from home and combined with laziness, this tradition has died with me. I think I can make the tetrahedral shape of my mother in law, if I tried. They use a special kind of bamboo leaf which my mum grew in her garden. Most people buy from imported from China. The Vietnamese call this Elephant bamboo.


I took the photo of the bamboo clump when I arrived on the Gold Coast. It was the same one Mum had grown in Borneo. Here where her body lay, they also grown the bamboo which we used to make Zhungzi. We used with without having to boil them as you would have to with the imported ones. The leaves were soft and subtle.

My friend and ex school mate http://sarawakianaii.blogspot.com/2010/06/zhongzie-remembering-chu-yuan.html has written about this festival. You may like to read about it.


href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg-899-CzXQWItUfFyjSFOjxOGTEkQROWseDRIH7E7c9vaS4cU9uY0dAvNwmXzEF3utxzHVq1OPmL1XKT3YtWP1_Y3xCVsYQlOtJdAYWoaTaJ-tSZW375nF4eqFVAr-h783_IcGshSyI0Bu/s1600-h/scenic+sunday.jpg">
http://scenicsunday.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

Wow...was this post ever so interesting and educational. I'm glad I stopped by for a visit today.

Mission Bells in Shadow

Thanks for stopping by Saturday...hope your weekend has been terrific so far!!

Sharodindu said...

Great!!
I liked the post very much...lovely pics with informative lines...
thanks for sharing !!

Frostbite and Sunburn said...

Great post Ann.