.

.
.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

waterywednesday:Starfish guarding the Maori/Maukatia cave




http://waterywednesday.blogspot.com/

Outside of the cave at Muriwai, was a puddle of water. As though guarding the cave were five star fish lying in the water.

Children were intrigued by them. I was tempted to take one back to school to show the kids as I am teaching living things. But I relented, I told myself, I might be the most exciting teacher, but what kind of example am I showing to the kids. If every child in New Zealand takes a star fish home, star fish will be like our giant bird Moa- extinct.

For a better photo of these starfish, Baruch has a great one. His star fish were bunched together. Starfish inside the cave at Maori Bay, Muriwai http://awalkthroughauckland.blogspot.com/2009/03/star-fish.html

7 comments:

Ed said...

Very cool, ya gotta love the starfishes..:-))

eileeninmd said...

What a wonderful sighting and photo. You are wonderful to leave the starfish there. This is another of my favorite watery shots.

momgen said...

I miss seeing starfish...Happy watery Wednesday.

mine is here

allhorsestuff said...

Nice, those are so cool!
And you are so right not to take it back to class...good thinking!
KK

Martha Z said...

I agree, the starfish are for enjoying in their native habitat. Better the students go to the tidepools to observe them.

J Bar said...

Great.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Julie said...

Starfish are most unusual creatures. They are delicately shaped yet coarse to the touch.

Thank you for your visit. I did not have any horses in the race this year. However, last year I went in a $2 AND a $1 sweep and won them both! Most unusual for me.