.

.
.

Friday, October 30, 2009

ABC Wednesday: Letter P, P for Parnell Festival of Roses


The Pizza oven with the chimney churning out freshly baked pizza. This is for Thomas, it was the chimney that attracted me.

A alt=""id="BLOGGER_PHOTO_ID_5398584906262659986" />


An art exhibition among God's art exhibition. The Parnell garden is famous with locals and tourists when the roses come in bloom.


Many people were interested in Alan Pitts way of music than his music. I saw hordes of people talking to him.

Every man and his dog was there. The cats must be saying," Hey, how come I never get taken to festivals? Am I not a pet!!!!"


Like giant guards, these palm trees protect the entrance of Parnell Rose Garden.
We have glorious weather today to celebrate our Parnell Festival of Roses.

There were roses, art , food and music. Set amongst the colour and vibrancy of newly bloomed roses, this free family festival will feature live music, fine food, poetry, actors, craft stalls and much more. What a wonderful day. What I love was the senior citizens who came. It warmth my heart.

My attention drew towards this elderly gentleman, he was playing music with a saw. I had seen one other person who played music with a saw. I was in Singapore when Dr. Tow Siang Hua played his saw one evening in Pandan BP Church.

I spoke to this gentleman, I told him about Dr. Tow. Alan Pitts told me he knew Dr. Tow. I told his photo and told him I wanted to do a post on him. He was happy. He is Alan Pitts, Master Sawyer, an award international performer. His musical saw which is an ordianry saw is a unique musical and visual entertainment. Alan doesn't have a web site or email. He comes from Blockhouse bay, in Auckland.

http://abcwednesdayround3.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Could you tell Dr. Tow (and also Alan Pitts, if you happen to see him again) about the annual NYC Musical Saw Festival, please? It would be great if they performed there. They can contact the festival through www.MusicalSawFestival.org

Thomas Lee/Lee Lip Pang said...

A mobile oven chimney for me!Thanks.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Re: [NYC Musical Saw Festival] "Musical Saw Festival 2010"
Monday, November 2, 2009 11:53 PM
From:
"Saw Lady"
Dear Ann,

THANK YOU very much for your kindness in searching the contact information of the two saw players!!!
It is interesting that Dr. Tow Siang Hua is a church pastor - many saw players during the first half of the 20th century and before were church pastors or missionaries. In fact, they helped spread the use of saws as musical instruments throughout the world, and they kept this art form alive when it fell out of grace in the entertainment world.

With much gratitude,

Natalia

From: ann chin
To: "Saw Lady"
Date: Sunday, November 1, 2009, 11:05 PM


Hi Natalia,

Alan doesn't have an email address, I tried to contact him through

Alan Pitts:http://www.vac.org.nz/seniors.html

Contact us:- email
Variety Artists Club of New Zealand (inc)
PO Box 100280 North Shore Mail Center
Auckland
NEW ZEALAND

Dr. Tow Siang Hua:
calbp@pacific.net.sg

Cheers,

Ann

P/s I don't really know them, I just met Alan on Saturday, Dr Tow is a busy doctor and church pastor in Singapore.

--- On Mon, 11/2/09, Saw Lady wrote:

> Subject: Re: [NYC Musical Saw Festival] Please moderate: "Musical Saw Festival 2010"
> Date: Monday, November 2, 2009, 12:09 AM
> Dear Ann,
>
> Thank you very much for your e-mail!
> I have heard the name 'Alan Pitts' but I
> don't think I actually know him. Of course it would be wonderful if Alan and Dr. Tow would be able to come all the way to New York to perform at the Musical Saw Festival in July. I realise it's a huge undertaking to travel all
> the way from New Zealand and Singapore to New York... so I won't be surprised if they don't want to do it... but I would be very grateful to you if you could tell them that they would always be welcomed to participate in the
> festival. The festival is a big concert, followed by a workshop where saw players can meet other saw players, try different saws, bows, etc and learn new techniques. Then
> there is socializing time for saw players to get to know other saw players. It's a fun and
> educational event for saw players, where experienced saw players share their knowledge with beginner saw players.
> Thank you very much for telling me about the two saw players you know!!! If they have e-mail, please give them
> mine, so they could contact me.
> Thank you and all the best,
> Natalia
> www.SawLady.com
>
> Date: Sunday,
> November 1, 2009, 12:58 AM
>
> Author : ann chin
> URL : http://ann-mythoughtsandphotos.blogspot.com
> Whois : http://ws.arin.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl?queryinput=125.238.14.116
> Comment:
> Hi,
>
> I am now living in Auckland New Zealand, and yesterday I went to a festival in our Rose garden. I saw this gentleman
> I have mentioned in my site. He was playing his saw. This is the second time I saw a saw being played to make music. He is Alan Pitts, and from his name card, is a famous musician.
> I told him I saw Dr. Tow play in Singapore.
>
> I posted this on my site last night, and this morning, I got a comment from M. Unfortunately, her site is not open and I can't contact her.
>
> If you know her, tell her, I will attempt to contact Alan by phone.
>
> It is incredible to hear beautiful music from a saw.
>
> Thanks,