In 2013, I was in Australia, and I love this display of the harmful effects of plastic bags. I teach this topic and I am really passionate about it.
I told my students about the floating island of rubbish between Hawaii and America.
Are we loving our earth?
2015 Theme: Healthy oceans, healthy planet
View of the area around Ny-Ålesund, located on Svalbard, an archipelago in the Arctic Ocean north of mainland Europe. UN Photo/Mark Garten
The ocean is the heart of our planet. Like your heart pumping blood to every part of your body, the ocean connects people across the Earth, no matter where we live. The ocean regulates the climate, feeds millions of people every year, produces oxygen, is the home to an incredible array of wildlife, provides us with important medicines, and so much more! In order to ensure the health and safety of our communities and future generations, it’s imperative that we take the responsibility to care for the ocean as it cares for us.
This year, the theme is Healthy oceans, healthy planet. Unfortunately, human pressures, including overexploitation, illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing, destructive fishing, as well as unsustainable aquaculture practices, marine pollution, habitat destruction, alien species, climate change and ocean acidification are taking a significant toll on the world’s oceans and seas.
The United Nations will celebrate World Oceans Day 2015 and recognize the winners of the Annual World Oceans Day Oceanic Photo Competition at an event on 8 June 2015 at the United Nations Headquarters.
Why do we celebrate World Oceans Day?
- To remind everyone of the major part the Ocean has in everyday life. They are the lungs of our planet, providing most of the oxygen we breathe.
- To inform the public on the impact of the human actions on the Ocean.
- To develop a worldwide movement of citizen, towards the Ocean.
- To mobilize and unite the world’s population on a project for the sustainable management of the World Ocean. They are a major source of food and medicines and a critical part of the biosphere.
- To celebrate together the beauty, the wealth and the promise of the Ocean.