.

.
.

Monday, June 17, 2013

Bamboo leaves for Zhung making.




Duanwu Festival (Chinese: 端午節/端午节)



We ate this every year on the Lunar fifth of May, and we helped Mum wrap this difficult dumpling.

These days you can buy the tetrahedral shaped zhungzi throughout the year. My traditional Cantonese ones are rectangular shape like a pillow. My two older sisters Rose and Elizabeth can make them. Alas for me, too many decades away from home and combined with laziness, this tradition has died with me. I think I can make the tetrahedral shape of my mother in law, if I tried. They use a special kind of bamboo leaf which my mum grew in her garden. Most people buy from imported from China. The Vietnamese call this Elephant bamboo.


I took the photo of the bamboo clump when I arrived on the Gold Coast. It was the same one Mum had grown in Borneo. Here where her body lay, they also grown the bamboo which we used to make Zhungzi. We used with without having to boil them as you would have to with the imported ones. The leaves were soft and subtle. The bamboo stem is like a reed. It grows as tall as a human being.






No comments: